Keep Going!!!

 
Adult Children of Divorce sometimes need to just keep going!  I was reminded of that last week when I took to the slopes for some winter downhill snow skiing.
 
I consider myself a fairly able snow skier. I like the slower , more relaxed trails, so the first run down was nicely comfortable.  My second time down I decided to ride the lift all the way to the top. Not having skied this particular hill before, I really didn't know what I was getting myself into!   The view from the top was spectacular , but when I looked at the slope, I knew I was not prepared!
 
But, prepared or not, I HAD to go down. So, I began down. Skis in the slow/brake position, to prevent myself from going too fast. And before I knew it I was head over heals, laying in the snow!!  I could not "right" myself. I was in one position on my side and just decided that I would let gravity take me down in that position. After a few feet of sliding on my hip and laughing and hoping no other people were looking at me, I realized I needed to have a new plan.
 
So, I righted myself , with the help of my kind husband, who looked on with pity and sweet disbelief.  I decided that I would go down like everyone else. Straight on , feet facing down, in that braking position, but I would just have to keep going!!!
 
I began down in an upright position and before I knew it, instead of toppling head long, I must have leaned backward and I was descending the hill ( which later I found out was a black diamond run) skis on the snow, and my back on the snow as well.  There was nothing I could do. The speed and gravity was holding me down, snow was spraying up under my coat all up my back and into my eyes, my skis were flat on the snow, helping me continue, and all I could do was laugh.  Up over a little hill, airborne, and back down....halfway down that run. 
 
Finally I got to a level area , up righted myself and skied beautifully down the remainder of the easier lower level of the run.  After I had brushed myself off, laughed more at myself, thanked God that I was not hurt, looked around and saw no one staring at me,  I realized that "sometimes you just have to keep going!!".
 
It may not be pretty, you may be unprepared for what is ahead, you may laugh or cry.

The terrain may be unfamiliar, you may be afraid , and you may try different ways to keep moving.  But the most important thing is that you KEEP GOING!!!
As Adult Children of Divorce, when you find yourself in awkward positions, feeling unsure of how to proceed, think of me, and find a way, anyway, to keep going!!  :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adult Children of Divorce Sometimes Choose Estrangement

Adult Children Of Divorce and Grief

The Serenity Prayer Worksheet