The Value of A Lighter Note

 
Over five years have passed since I began processing my father's affair and the soon-to-follow end of my parent's 45 year marriage.  Grief was loud and dissonant as my life's sweet sound became a irritating and unpleasant ringing in my ear.  I knew as I processed grief and tried to reach out to other ACODs that we would need to leave our deep feelings of anger, depression, sadness, etc. and focus on lighter things. You and I  would need to learn to step away from the drumming of constant thoughts and emotions to hear again the music of serenity. 
 
  That is why I try to put a post entitled " On A Lighter Note" in my blog occasionally. A funny joke, or a light message of courage is all I can handle some days, when I need a reprieve.  Today I need that again.  It is not a cartoon, or a quote today, but today it is music. My fingers on the piano , relieving stress and listening to the harmony of sound helps soothe my re-opened wounds.  Singing at the top of my lungs in the car helps sound out my frustration. Stopping to recognize the chirp of a bird or the humming of a bee, makes me see how valuable even the most seemingly insignificant can be. Listening for God. Sometimes He speaks clearly and without denial. Lately I feel He is whispering. It requires me to be still and to be aware and waiting. 
 
Today , leave room in your day and in your particular issue you are struggling with , to enjoy a lighter note.  Get out that guitar and strum.  Listen to your favorite CD.  Get out and enjoy the music of laughter with a friend.  When experiencing fresh grief , or old grief, as an adult child of divorce, make time and a way to lighten your load and your soul by enjoying a lighter note!!!

Comments

  1. Love this. Such a good reminder for us all. Whether it;s a few months out or five years out, the struggles of being an ACOD are never over. I'm glad to see you're still blogging - thinking about picking it back up again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adult Children of Divorce Sometimes Choose Estrangement

The Serenity Prayer Worksheet

Levels of Feeling Bad : Regret, Remorse and Repentance