ACOD CheckUp


I like Checkups.  Maybe not everyone does, but I like my dental checkups once a year. I look forward to going to my doctor to talk about my general health.  When our car is scheduled for a yearly service appointment, I feel a sense of relief.  Most of the time, I go along in my life without paying much attention to my teeth, my blood pressure or the faint noise in the engine in my car.  When I go to the checkup, I am happy that I have a second person paying attention to things that I may be so used to that I am inadvertently ignoring them. 

In marriage, and in personal life, especially if you are an adult child of divorce, checkups can be so valuable.  A yearly appointment with a trained counselor or a trusted pastor can help you deal with issues before they need "surgery" , so to speak.   Sometimes the checkup will expose a problem you didn't'know you had, or it will enable you to voice your concerns about something that is nagging at you , but isn't a big problem yet.

Once I got over the wrong assumption that 1. I didn't have problems or things to work on in my life , and 2.  going for help shows weakness,  I felt more comfortable making an appointment with a counselor for a "tune-up" in my marriage and life.  How grateful I am for two friends, in particular, who modeled this for me , and I could see positive results in their lives.  I could see that their problems stayed manageable and that they were strong people for taking care of themselves!

So, I hope today I can be that model for those of you who have not talked to someone about your ACOD issues, or other issues in your own marriage or your own life , that just seem to be causing a little ache or pain or rattle.   Pick up the phone and call someone to make that yearly appointment for a checkup.  You may learn to like checkups too!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adult Children of Divorce Sometimes Choose Estrangement

Adult Children Of Divorce and Grief

The Serenity Prayer Worksheet