Milestones

It has been years since I have submitted a new post to my blog.  But years are milestones sometimes and the journey of being an Adult Child of Divorce is sometimes a long , winding, ongoing walk.

My travels on this road began over ten years ago. Looking back, I see where I was, and how I rested along the way, or found help to quench my own thirst, and also how I mustered courage and tackled some figurative dangers along the path.  Sometimes it seems the road has circled around and I don't feel I have made much progress, but instead have gone in a circle. Not much has changed, and yet in the process, everything has changed!

The life of the blog began six years ago.  It's birth was like others , with pain and helplessness and entrance into a world that seemed foreign and cold and frightening, compared to the safety of the womb. If you read the blog from the oldest posts to the more recent posts, you will get the best picture of the process of grief and the lessons learned.  The words of the blog have taken on a life of their own and have spoken to the need of many people in the same situation I have been in.

Each time I receive a comment or an email, usually a few tears come, as I remember and reach out. And yet, I am grateful to have walked ahead of others to encourage and cheer on their continued journey, no matter where it takes them.

If you have just found this blog, you may have just begun your travels on this road. Maybe you are at milestone one or two.  Start at old posts and move forward.  If you are in the midst of walking this weary road, sit down near milestone marker 365 and rest. Look back and look forward and get up again keep walking.  Maybe like me, you have journeyed thousands of miles, and don't know where the next turn is or what is lurking around the next corner, but you know you will reach the next milestone with courage and strength.

Here is to a new year, a new perspective as you look back and also forward. Mark your progress and don't lose sight of the destination. Your idea of what that was when you began may have changed as you have traveled. Choose the high road, the path of honesty and truth. Take with you respect and care for yourself as you become weary and tired. Choose to see the little flowers and birds along the way, when all else is dark and cloudy. And don't be afraid to consider : Could it be that the journey actually is the destination?

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the support and encouragement to keep writing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Adult Children of Divorce Sometimes Choose Estrangement

Adult Children Of Divorce and Grief

The Serenity Prayer Worksheet